Professional FAQs

Here are a few commonly asked questions by dental health professionals. There are some more general FAQs here.

If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for drop an email to or call Peppersmith HQ on 020 8788 2080.

Where can I buy your products?

We sell direct as well as through some of the biggest dental wholesalers. You can find full details here.

How can I get samples?

You can order some samples here.

Do you have materials to help me educate my patients?

Absolutely. You can have a look at our support materials here.

How much xylitol is in Peppersmith mints and gum?

Each mint contains 0.55g of xylitol and each piece of gum contains 1g.

Aren’t some of your flavours (like lemon) acidic?

Nope. We are very strict and would never use an ingredient that could potentially be bad for teeth. None of the flavours we use are acidic (our lemon is lemon oil from the zest not the juice). Also all our final products are tested by a leading food science consultancy to verify that they do not have an acidic pH. For example our lemon mints have a pH of 8.76.

Are your products good for patients with a dry mouth?

Absolutely. We have lots of dry mouth sufferers who use our products. Our mints and gum promote saliva, which provides relief and also helps buffer acids. Often the mint can be a bit strong and from feedback it seems that the lemons mints are the most popular.

What ages are your products suitable for?

Anyone aged 3 and up.

How much xylitol is it ok to eat in one day?

Xylitol is a polyol (a family of sugar alternatives) and like with all polyols, “excessive consumption” can cause a laxative effect. The good news though is that 25% to 50% of xylitol is absorbed in the intestine so it’s much better tolerated than some other sugar alternatives. So the big question is, how much is “excessive”? Well it completely depends on the individual as we are all different. Research has shown that the tolerance for xylitol can be up to 70g+ for adults and 40g+ for kids. To put this into perspective a whole pack of mints is 13.8g so will be well tolerated by the vast majority of people (there are those that have a sensitivity to xylitol but even they can normally build a tolerance over time).

With all foods though moderation is best and you get the all the dental benefits from 5g to 10g so there’s no need to eat whole packets at a time. The ideal way to eat them is to have a few mints or pieces of gum at regular intervals throughout the day.

If you’re concerned as you have other food sensitivities, you can start off at lower daily amounts of xylitol and increase them as tolerances will increase.

Can I get copies of some of the research on xylitol?

We hope to soon have these to download direct from the site but in the meantime, email us at